Join us for the first Policy Surveillance Summer Institute!
June 9-10, 2016 // Philadelphia, PA
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED.
The Policy Surveillance Program’s 2016 Summer Institute will teach policy surveillance and legal mapping techniques during a two-day intensive training at Temple University in Philadelphia. The training will provide both didactic and hands-on lab training with software tools.
Participants will have the opportunity to network with other law/policy professionals as well as engage with Policy Surveillance Program staff during the Institute and for follow-up. They will also have hands-on access to the software tools with guided demonstrations and exercises to gain proficiency with the tools. By the conclusion of the experience, participants will have learned the entire process from conceptualizing a dataset through web-deployment tools for visualizing policy over jurisdictions and time.
Institute participants will:
- Define the key elements of policy surveillance and other forms of legal mapping
- Summarize the steps needed to efficiently track laws and policies as they are enacted and change using software tools (The program will not include how to track bills through the legislative process)
- Apply the steps for policy tracking to create an empirical legal dataset
- Analyze the legal dataset with basic descriptive statistics for a cross-sectional policy dataset using SPSS
Travel & Accommodations
Accommodations are paid by the attendee. Reduced room rates are available at the following hotels (follow the link to access the special booking site):
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City-Convention Center: $167/night with taxes (must book before May 18, 2016 to receive discounted rate)
(You may also enter group code POL at the main Hampton Inn Center City Philadelphia website)